- How much does it cost to put in a hot tub?
Considering that the price includes both the hot tub and the labour, another reasonable question asked by homeowners would be “how much does it cost to install electrical for a hot tub?” The ticket price of the actual hot tub can vary widely depending on brand, size, number of jets, number of users capacity, etc. but can be as affordable as $500 for a no-frills version to $15,000 for a high end spa-type Jacuzzi. The hot tub electrical installation cost can range as well but is generally in the thousands to few thousands. The variation and additional costs depend on the following:
- The further the distance the hot tub cable is to the electrical panel, generally the more expensive.
- If the electrical panel is not equipped to handle the new load, you may need to upgrade to a higher amp panel, which would add thousands to the cost.
- If underground cabling is required, this would add to the cost.
- A GFCI breaker needs to be installed since it is in a high moisture area.
- An ESA inspection and electrical permit is required.
- If underground cabling is required, this would also add to the cost.
2. Do I need a concrete slab for a hot tub?
A stable and level base is paramount for a filled hot tub that can weigh several thousand pounds. There are a few options other than a concrete slab such as a minimum 3 inch thick block, crushed gravel or an existing deck with good structural support. These are points you can discuss with your general and electrical contractors.
3. Do you need planning permission to install a hot tub?
In the vast majority of cases where you’re simply wanting to install a hot tub in your backyard, the answer is no, you do not need planning permission. What is needed, however, is electrical inspections and permits from the Electrical Safety Authority (ESA) since it involves complex electrical wiring requirements.
As you can see, installing a hot tub in your home is not necessarily a simple or inexpensive project, but if you involve your trusted and reliable electrician in Peterborough, you can expect the process to go much more smoothly. Call our hot tub installation contractor today for a free quote.
Copyright © 2020 Electricians Peterborough | All rights reserved