- Safety - there are many dark areas in your home’s exteriors where trips and falls can potentially happen. Placing your lights strategically to cover these areas so as to not leave any dark pockets is a good idea. An even better idea is to add a motion-sensor function.
- Security - if you don’t have a home alarm system, or even if you do, having a timed or motion-sensor lighting system can be an economical way to deter potential burglars.
Now that we’ve briefly covered the practical purposes of landscape lighting, the fun purpose is for creating a desired atmosphere when entertaining. Just remember, as in other rooms in your home such as the kitchen, bedrooms, living areas, basement, etc., you want to achieve a balanced look and feel with layered illumination. We’re talking about ambient, task and decorative or accent lighting.
Some landscape lighting ideas:
- Place pathway lights an even distance apart from one another
- Adding lights under shrubs create a cool effect
- If you have a fountain or beautiful structure in your yard, consider highlighting it with spotlights (use many low brightness ones as opposed to a few bright glaring ones)
- You can incorporate different colours to create different moods
How much does it cost to install outdoor lighting?
It varies across the board, but for a standard 800 square feet yard with at least 20 LED light fixtures, $3,000 to $5,000 for materials and labour. You must also factor in extraneous costs such as the electrical inspection.
The type of lights that can be used in your home’s exterior include, but are not limited to:
- Flood lights: attached to the wall to illuminate a large surface area
- Deck lights: spotlights used to brighten a deck
- Wall lanterns: provide an accent lighting for the surrounding garden
- Path lights: line along the pathway to make the path more visible
- String lights: create a decorative and festive touch
LED light bulbs are the preferred choice for all lighting options, as they work great outdoors and have a very long lifespan, so you can enjoy your time outside rather than continuously changing light bulbs.
Beyond the physical work, feel free to consult with us for our expertise in what and where you should install the lights. Whatever you decide, our Peterborough outdoor lighting electricians can assist you in all your landscape lighting wiring needs.